Sunday, September 11, 2011

NYFW Pt. 1


 Hey friendlies! First I have to rant, second I will tell you about my first New York Fashion Week show. 

It has been a while since my last entry but I return to all of you lovely readers reinvigorated, energetic, thankful and inspired. I’ve learned this past week that a.) you never know where life will take you and b.) every choice, as microscopic and miniscule each individual one may seem, adds up to the story that is your life.

For the past month I’ve been struggling with the concept of my blog. The nature of fashion is infinite and inexhaustible; another trend is always around the corner. The inherent qualities of fashion involve both consumerism and self expression; two forces that at times seem to be at battle with one another, or at least in my mind. How sad is the concept that in order to participate in something I love so dearly involves me draining my own pocketbook? I guess this perspective could be deemed as rather cynical and negative but when I compare my own wardrobe to those of other bloggers I can’t help but ask how they afford all of the things they wear. (Can anyone say sponsors?)

This thought process has been somewhat of a hindrance to my ‘creativity’ over the past months. It is true that I can shop second hand and alter the garments I buy for practically pennies but the tradeoff involves the time required to do so. So this is a reason for why I’ve slowed down on blogging - it can be tiresome chasing an ideal.

But after some months of absence from online blogging I’ve felt pretty damn pathetic wallowing in my own pity party. Clothing to some may be rooted and end in nothing more than superficiality, and for those who align themselves with this dialectic, it is what we do that defines our purpose; not what we wear. Absolutely. This statement is completely valid but how can one say that our clothing is completely isolated from any meaning and purpose in our lives?

Mixed some black and blue nail polish for a Navy hue that is killer for fall
For me and certainly many others, clothing is not merely fabric that covers my skin; it is ingrained in my identity, a form of language non-reliant on words. I often can’t express verbally why something appeals to me aesthetically; the feelings evoked by a well made garment are no less valid than those brought on by a work from the high renaissance. Now for some that might be quite a stretch and by all means I am not trying to make this entry some weird personal manifesto, I guess I’m just saying that I wish there were more time in the day and more money in my pocket to contribute to the one activity that really makes my heart sing.

So you’re probably wondering what broke my pitiful spell of sadness? Why am I so ‘reinvigorated?’ In comes the explanation for this post’s title.

Last week I received an invitation to show at New York Fashion week! 

I actually thought it was a hoax – especially the part where the email said that some of the participating designers ‘liked my blog.’ After pacing around and sweating profusely, I decided to call the number of the firm that had contacted me. Sure enough, an actual human answered and reassured me that it was in fact real. I booked my ticket two days later.

So here my lovelies, are the first half of the photos for the my whirlwind adventure in New York Fashion Week at the Concept Korea Presentation.



Pt. 2 to come! Thanks for stopping by!


11 comments:

  1. This outfit is fab love the colour of your pants :) and the accessories are gorgeous x

    http://lolitasfashionideas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you dearie! Just rockin' grandma's jewels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your outfit! That is so cool that you were invited:)
    -Tori
    fashiontrendsmore.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that is so cool! yayayay! i'm so proud of you :) btw, kick ass outfit.
    so happy you're back! i know exactly what you mean. sometimes i get so sick of myself and blogging but at the end of the day its what i love.

    xx,
    theemeraldsun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO glad you are back! How awesome that you got invited to fashion week - I'm so glad I get to live vicariously through you. I agree with your manifesto. Sometimes the most inspiring outfits are not the most expensive. That's why I think bloggers are so popular. Real people living real lives with real checkbooks. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you dears for your sweet comments! I wish you could have come with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. walking here with a smile. take care.. have a nice day ~ =D

    Regards,
    http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky girl! Can't wait to see part two. And can I day ditto to everything you just said about you're feelings on fashion! I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so polished and chic! I love your blue pants! xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome ! great post, hun...

    xx
    deni.

    ReplyDelete